HEARTLAND | Charles Lyons
A mid-1800’s revival that started with a small prayer meeting in New York City resulted in thousands upon thousands of people trusting in Christ. We need such a movement today, perhaps using several ideas from this list. Use personally, or with family devotions. Share it with your church prayer group of Bible study group. Share on Facebook.
“Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile and beseech the Lord on its behalf. For in its welfare you will also have welfare.” (Jeremiah 29:7)
1. Invite the Holy Spirit to teach you to pray as He helps you to pray.
2. Pray for your pastor – his spiritual health, his marriage, his family, his vision, wisdom, and spiritual power. Ask God to enhance his ability to lead your church to reach your city or town.
3. Pray for your church family to enthusiastically engage in serving your community.
4. Pray the same for the pastors in your city.
5. Pray for the newest church you know and the oldest church.
6. Pray that your church family will impact your city or town in 2015 as never before.
7. Pray for your mayor – a sense of accountability to God, humble acknowledgement of need for wisdom, relationship to God, and desire for righteousness and integrity.
8. Pray the same for your police chief.
9. Pray the same for your fire chief.
10. Pray the same for your city council or your local elected official.
11. Pray the same for your superintendent of schools.
12. Pray for the schools closest to you, the high school and its principal, the grade school and its principal.
13. Pray for those who work in the healthcare system in your community – administrators, doctors, nurses, technicians.
14. Pray for your closest neighbors or friends to be saved and be fully devoted disciples of Jesus Christ.
15. Pray for a merchant or clerk you interact with on a regular basis.
Charles Lyons pastors Armitage Baptist Church in Chicago.